Painting your house can be a big project, but it’s one that can really improve the look and feel of your home. How much does it cost to paint a house? That depends on a few factors, including the size of your home, the type of paint you choose, and whether you do the work yourself or hire a professional. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the average cost to paint a house for both the interior and exterior. We’ll also discuss some tips for keeping costs down while still getting the best possible results.
Painting The Exterior Of A House
How Much Does It Cost To Have Professionals Paint The Home Exterior?
The average cost to have a professional paint the exterior of a home can range from $0.50 to $3.50 per square foot. In total, the average homeowner could expect to pay somewhere between $1,747 and $4,168 total. This price may vary depending on several factors. Factors that affect the cost of painting a home’s exterior include:
- The size of the home
- The condition of the home’s exterior
- The material used for the home’s exterior
- The paint used (a high-quality paint may cost more than a standard paint)
It is important to get an accurate estimate from a painting contractor before starting any project. Make sure to ask your contractor about the different types of paints available and how much each one costs.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint The Home Exterior By Yourself?
The cost to paint the exterior of a home by yourself will also vary depending on the various factors previously mentioned. In general, though, it will typically cost around $0.50-$0.75 per square foot to do the job yourself. In total, you could pay anywhere from $500 to $1200 in total costs between paint and supplies.
Regardless of whether you choose to hire a professional or do it yourself, make sure to prepare the exterior of your home properly for painting. This includes cleaning and repairing any damaged surfaces, removing any old paint, and caulking any cracks or gaps. Preparing your home properly will help ensure a smooth and successful painting project. If you decide to work with a professional, they will likely be able to all of this prep work for you as well.
Materials Needed For Exterior Home Painting
If you decide to paint the exterior of your house on your own, you’ll need the right tools for the job. Below are the necessary materials for exterior home painting:
How To Save Money On Exterior Home Painting
- Gather multiple bids: Don’t settle for the first bid you receive if you decide to work with a professional. Get multiple bids, compare, and negotiate to get the best possible price for the job.
- Choose a color similar to the existing color: If you choose a color that’s similar to the existing color of your home, you’ll likely be able to save money on both paint and primer.
- Avoid dark colors: Dark colors can look great, but they require more coats of paint to achieve the right saturation. Dark colors may lead to higher maintenance expenses, because they also fade faster.
- DIY as much as you can: Naturally, the more you can do on your own, the less you’ll have to pay in labor expenses. If you have some home improvement skills, you could do the bulk of the prep work for painting (sanding surfaces, scraping off old paint, caulking, etc.).
Painting The Interior Of A House
How Much Does It Cost To Have Professionals Paint The Home Interior?
The cost to have a professional paint the interior of your home can vary depending on several factors, such as the size of your home and the type of paint used. However, on average, it costs around $2-$6 per square foot to hire a professional painter. This price includes all materials and labor. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and may be more or less expensive depending on your specific situation.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint The Home Interior By Yourself?
On average, it costs between $1 and $3 per square foot to paint the interior of a home by yourself. However, this price can change depending on the region you live in. Make sure to research local prices before starting your project.
Materials Needed For Interior Home Painting
If you decide to paint the interior of your house on your own, you’ll need the right tools for the job. Below are the necessary materials for interior home painting:
How To Save Money On Interior Home Painting
- Borrow supplies: If you don’t have supplies like ladders or drop cloths, there’s a good chance one of your neighbors or family members does. The more supplies you can borrow, the less you’ll have to pay in supply costs.
- Determine if primer is needed: You can probably skip buying primer if your walls are clean, dry, and dull and you intend to paint in a color similar to the existing wall color. Primer will increase your overall expenses and can be avoided in some cases.
- DIY as much as you can: The more you do yourself, the more you’ll save in labor costs.
- Gather multiple bids: Just like shopping for an exterior painting professional, it’s important to get quotes from multiple painters to get the work done for the best possible price if you decide to work with a professional.
DIY Or Hiring A Professional Painter: Which Should You Choose?
Deciding whether or not to DIY your home painting project? Here are a few factors to consider:
- Skill level: If you’re not comfortable painting, it might be worth hiring a professional.
- Time constraints: If you don’t have the time to complete the project on your own, hiring a professional is the best option.
- Size of the project: Professional painters typically charge by the square foot, so if your project is small, it might be more economical to DIY.
- Quality of work: A professional painter will likely do a better job than if you were to try and paint yourself. However, this comes at a higher price tag.
If you have the time available and you’re willing to put in the effort to hone your painting skills, then DIY painting can be an affordable and fun option. If painting yourself doesn’t sound appealing, you can use our directory to find a professional for your job.